It’s Election Day in America and man y’all, this election is a big one. Not only are we voting for a new president, a lot of states are voting for local representation, and in North Carolina, where I am, we’re voting for our Governor and one of our two Senators- and they’re important races (we can help flip the senate if we vote Thom Tillis out!), and as usual, we’re a battleground state. We’ve been a swing state that leans slightly red for as long as I can remember, but we’re always close, so we always get lots of visits from both candidates and their entourages and this year was nothing different. But, that ends up leading to a lot of stress around election time, and this year more than others. I know people all over the country are feeling the same way, so I put together a list of 5 of my favorite books to read to take your mind off of the election for a little while.
- Fix Her Up by Tessa Bailey- This book has the perfect mix of steamy romance and feel good friendship and stupid boys in it that you won’t be thinking of anything else but it for a little while. Once you finish the first book, books two and three are already out, so you could binge read all three and call it a couple of days to a week right there- what a great way to spend a week too. Add in some hot chocolate or some Halloween candy, maybe some wine, maybe some cheese, and you’re set!
- One of Us is Lying by Karen McManus and One of Us is Next by Karen McManus- If you want some murder, some mystery, and some intrigue in your life instead, grab these two books. I couldn’t put them down when I started reading them and the twists and turns within them were definitely unexpected and very welcome.
- House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J Maas- This book is loooooonggggg and detailed and takes a little while to get into and parts of it killed me, but I really liked it! I love fantasy and I know Sarah J Maas isn’t everyone’s favorite and some people think all of her books are the same, but I like her writing and it’s easy to read when you don’t want to have to think a lot, so it’s on my list for sure.
- Mirage by Somaiya Daud and Court of Lions by Somaiya Daud- These books are such a great sci-fi duology and both of them are out, so they’re super easy to binge. I love the idea of a galactic princess and her body double and trying to get vengeance almost years of mistreatment and ahhh these books hook you right away- for sure a great way to stop thinking about what’s going on in the country right now by seeing how other people are fighting oppressive space regimes!
- Ace of Shades by Amanda Foody, King of Fools. by Amanda Foody, and Queen of Volts by Amanda Foody- Queen of Volts might be my favorite read of this year so far (which is saying a lot since I’ve read 126 books so far this year). It was an incredible ending to an incredible trilogy! These books have everything you could ever- romance, betrayal, intrigue, compulsion, death, character growth, amazing characters in general, all set in a backdrop reminiscent of Atlantic City in its heyday. With a really cool magic system and gangs fighting to take control of the city, this is definitely a trilogy that’ll take you away.
Whatever you do during the wait for us to get results, make sure you’re relaxing and taking care of yourself and your family first! Let me know what all y’all are reading during this time- I’m always looking to add more books to my lists!